Thursday, February 14, 2008

On Random Questions, Part 2

Another random question: Why do Japanese babies
have so much hair when Caucasian babies are bald?
(Or at least mine were.)

Back in July 2007, I raised the first of many random questions that come to my mind as we live and work in Tokyo. Here are a few others:

*In a city with so many foreigners (nearly 18% of Tokyo’s population is non-native), why is the English so atrocious here? Two of the top five foreign populations are native English speakers (American and British), so why don’t Japanese get help with their English? One of the worst examples is this sign I see regularly on the awning of a restaurant called Oriental Diner: “Your cheek is greeted to live.” What in the world does that mean? Then, on the train the other day, saw a young man wearing his trendy clothes with obvious delight. His shirt read, “Pursuing Poopularity.” The joke’s on him!

*Why would you name a steakhouse the “B&M Steak House?” We ate there recently and asked that very question to the friendly man who seemed to be in charge. He told us, “B stands for happiness, as in bluebird. M stands for market reader, as being one to bring change for the better to a neighborhood.” So, what in the world does this have to do with steak and the cowboy décor of the restaurant? I don’t know. I will say, however, that the food was pretty good, although pricey. Guess it could have been pricey and no good at all. And Bernie did enjoy the country/western fare playing as background music and the cowboy and Indian posters tacked on the walls.

*Every day when I open the newspaper, it’s not a question of IF there has been a suicide bomber, but only how many people have died since the day before because of this or some other terrorist activity somewhere in the world. When is this going to stop?

*A few days ago there was a two-story house on a lot near to where we live in Jiyugaoka. Today, when I walked by on my way to the grocery store, I discovered the lot has become a parking lot. It’s only big enough for two cars! True, it was a small house, but so small that only two cars can park there now? No wonder Japanese homes are often called rabbit hutches.

*How do girls put their makeup on while riding on a moving train without poking their eyes out or at least drawing all over their faces—especially when Japanese don’t have much of an eyelid anyway? Sometimes I can hardly manage just to stay on my feet as I ride the swaying trains.

*The other day, I saw a Japanese young man all dressed up in a sport coat, shirt, and hat. He was primping in a plate glass store window. I wondered if he knew there were rips in the back of his jeans. Of course, he knew. So my real question is, why does he think that’s a fashion statement? It’s more like a poverty statement to me, yet he probably paid a whole lot of money at some exclusive shop to dress like that. Unbelievable!

*One last question: How can I possibly write this blog without commenting on my grandson, Little Ben? Obviously, I can’t!