Thursday, August 13, 2009

An Award-Winning Smile


Bernie and I have just returned from a morning walk with Little Ben, our grandson. This has become an enjoyable daily ritual during our two-week summer vacation. How nice! Except for the sweat, that is—which reminds me of some related thoughts I jotted down last month in the note pad I always carry in my purse:

It must be 120% humidity today in Tokyo! This is the kind of weather that makes ex-pats flee Japan for their lives in July and August. Those who must remain find themselves soaked to the skin with sweat without moving a muscle. The only antidote for this humidity—but this remedy cures for only minutes at best—is to stand in an ice cold shower. The shock effect seems to close sweat pores. However, since this positive effect lasts only a short time, the process must be repeated again and again throughout the day. Of course, one can always learn to live in damp clothes.


One tool I use to survive Japan’s ghastly and exhausting summers is the “sweat rag.” Some people more elegantly call these handkerchiefs, but that word makes me think of the lace and embroidered cloths that my grandmother used to dab her face. What I use are utilitarian, practical, unsightly but still effective squares of gauze or terry cloth material. They sop up sweat like great rags used to clean the kitchen floor after milk has been spilled. They aren’t handkerchiefs; they are definitely sweat rags.

So there I was in Naka Meguro Station, wiping my face, arms, and neck and trying to avoid looking like a drenched runner at the end of a marathon. I’d only walked a short distance and was trying to retain at least a glimpse of respectability in my appearance. Actually, I knew it was a losing battle, especially when I looked at my sweat rag and realized I’d just wiped off all the makeup I’d applied at home only a short time before. “What a waste of makeup,” I thought to myself. “I might as well not have put any on.”

Then, glancing across the subway tracks to the opposite platform, I noticed a billboard that proclaimed, “Smile is the best makeup.” I have no idea what was being advertised because my mind ran with that phrase that stood out in English against the background of Japanese words. It was a gentle reminder for the day, for the hot summer, and indeed for my life. My makeup might not survive the stifling humidity, but I could still smile. That was my choice, and unless I allowed it to do so, my choice to smile could not be affected by the weather or any other circumstances of life.

Suddenly a picture of our grandson came to mind, and I smiled. His hilarious laughing was videoed by our daughter. Little Ben was twirling and swirling (his version of dancing) with his daddy and convulsing with laughter over the sheer joy of this play. I couldn’t watch it without laughing myself. Yes, indeed. A smile is the best makeup.

And now, here I am in China, getting to play every day with the little guy. Even as we eagerly applaud any new developments and the signs of his maturing, there’s one thing I hope never changes: his award-winning smile. It’s his best feature. I’ve decided to switch to his brand of makeup.