Saturday, June 9, 2007

Going to the Dogs

"Hey, I've got a secret! We can live like kings in Setagaya!"

Every time I get on this topic, I have to begin with a disclaimer: No, I don’t hate dogs. It is true that we’ve never owned a dog in our 31 years of marriage, although we’ve had three cats, a rabbit, a couple of birds, numerous aquariums of fish, hamsters named Don and Betty Jo (after the grandparents), and, heaven didn’t forbid, mice that began reproducing way too fast. Still, I repeat it: I have nothing against dogs. Really.

Having said that, however, I do admit I have a problem when I see how dogs are treated in Japan—or at least here in Tokyo’s Setagaya ward, where we live. Setagaya boasts the highest number of registered dogs among the city’s 23 wards. Some 29,200 canines are listed, not to mention all the “illegals.” To give some perspective, that’s pushing twice as many people as live in Bernie’s hometown in southeast Missouri.

So how do Setagaya folk treat their dogs? Let me give some examples.

I can remember when I thought taking your dog for a walk meant that the dog walked, too. What I usually see these days are proud owners strolling with their dogs cuddled in their arms. Fresh air for little poochie, yes, but walk him? I guess that would be cruel and unusual punishment. It’s no wonder diet dog food is sold in the stores here.

And speaking of stores, in our neighborhood there’s a doggie furniture store. How about a couch or an arm chair? And I thought it was extravagant to spend money on Fido’s own special cushion! There’s a computer in the window, too, but surely that’s for the store and not for someone’s pet. But then again . . . .

There are also many pet clinics rivaling the number for people, in addition to more than a few doggie boutiques within easy walking distance. You can buy your beloved pet the latest in fashion, some garments boasting designer names (and prices), too. You do want your poochie to be the talk of the town, don’t you? After all, isn’t she worth it?

Or how about going out to dinner with your dog? There’s the Deco Dog Café where you can order an entrée for yourself from the people menu and your pet’s favorite from his own menu. They’ll serve your beloved dog in a silver dish right there beside your chair. Who knows? Maybe if you ask, they’ll even place a doggie high chair at your table. I’m only half being factitious.

And now, according to The Daily Yoimuri, there are accredited “dog life counselors” in Setagaya, certified to talk with dog owners about improving pet etiquette, training, and health care. The more I read, the more appalled I become. After all, here’s something else I read recently: UNICEF reports that 30,000 children die each day due to poverty. Yet dogs are treated like kings and queens around here. Am I the only one who’s upset?